Friday, July 4, 2008

God Bless America

How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!
~Thomas Jefferson

Love your country. Your country is the land where your parents sleep, where is spoken that language in which the chosen of your heart, blushing, whispered the first word of love; it is the home that God has given you that by striving to perfect yourselves therein you may prepare to ascend to him. ~Giuseppe Mazzini
Happy Independence Day! Thanks to Grandma Leslie for the fun new patriotic shirts the kids loved them. I have been wanting to get their pictures by the flag for a while and I am glad we finally did it. We have spent the day together so far playing in the swimming pool with my sisters and brother and just relaxing. Grandpa Dennis came over and held Tait while everyone swam and we had a fun visit. Reeve got a chance to talk to Tolman about the importance of the flag and told the story about Captain Moroni and the Title of Liberty. After that, Tolman went to take a nap and slept by a picture of the flag. We will finish the day out in Leeds with Reeve's parents, watching fireworks and sleeping under the stars.

I am grateful to live in a fun neighborhood where they put the flag out for every national holiday. I love to go down our street and see all the flags flying. There is something inspiring about seeing the flag waving in the wind. I am happy to live in a land where I am free. I am grateful to be able to worship the Almighty God in the manner that I see fit and I am grateful to raise my family in such a place. At times I worry about the state of our nation and where its shifting values will take us. But, even though I have no control over those things I still have the freedom to believe and worship and teach my children to hold on to the Lord's hand. No matter what happens He will care for us. So I will always be grateful to live in this beautiful country.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Julie said...

When I read this on your blog the song "God Bless America" was playing. By the time it was over and I had finished reading your post, I was balling. We truly are blessed to live in this great country! I love the picture of your kids saluting the flag with their left hand too (David and I both laughed at that)! Don't you just love the patriotic feeling you have at this time of year!!!

gram karon said...

Just a little slow but here I am pictues are priceless and the beautiful kids in them are too Thanks for the sleep over under the stars I am glad we have stars in Leeds so the kids can enjoy them. We need to do it again soon.xoxoxox Gram